My Lords, distinguish guests, ladies and gentlemen, good evening and welcome.
尊敬的阁下们、各位嘉宾、女士们和先生们,晚上好!欢迎大家的光临。
A very special welcome to Minister Counsellor Mr Cong Peiwu from the Chinese Embassy.
我们特别欢迎中国驻英国大使馆公使衔参赞丛培武先生的光临。
Sun Lin Fai Lock, Kung Hee Fatt Choy (Sing Nian Kuay Lock) – a belated Very Happy & Prosperous Chinese New Year to all.
祝各位来宾新年快乐!恭喜发财!给大家拜个晚年,祝你们在新一年里心情舒畅、兴旺发达!
I want to make three points this evening.
我今晚想讲三点。
First, is about gambling.
第一点是关于赌博。
London Chinatown is known now as London Casino-town – there are over 120 book makers in Westminster particularly concentrated around London Chinatown.
伦敦的中国城现在已经成了伦敦赌城。威斯敏斯特区有超过120家博彩店,多数都集中在中国城周边一带。
This is the social stigma that no Chinese wants to talk about – it is breaking up families and businesses leading to an increase in domestic violence and mental illness in the community.
这是一个华人不愿提及的社会耻辱。赌博让华人毁家败业,致使华人的家庭暴力和个人精神问题不断增加。
Chinese are the biggest gamblers in the world and that gambling is a normal feature of life which is regarded as 'acceptable' – it's in our DNA and genes.
华人是这个世界上最大的赌客群,赌博被华人社会视为生活中"可容忍"的寻常乐子,赌一把的心态深入我们的基因。
Let me share with you other heart wrenching stories:
我再给诸位讲讲一些让人心痛的故事:
a Chinese lady – hooked on gambling - was held by the authorities due to neglect for her children.
一个华裔女性,沉迷于赌博,因为没有尽到照顾孩子的义务被政府收监。
So powerful is this drug of gambling. This drive to win.The need to win to recoup earlier losses.
她的赌瘾竟如此之大,只有赢钱的欲望和翻本儿的渴望。
That she was prepared to risk the lives of her precious children. The children she carried in her own body for nine months. The children she was so proud of. The children who she will rely on for her security and safety in old age.
她竟要为此而不顾她爱子们的性命,而这是她怀胎十月才得来的孩子、让她引以为荣的孩子,让她能老有所依的孩子。
She had left her children, aged 9 and 11 locked – all alone - in their council flat night-upon-night on their own between 11pm and 4am.
每天晚上11点到凌晨4点,她就把自己只有9岁和11岁的孩子独自锁在他们住的廉租房里。
Thank goodness her caring neighbours found the lady's movements concerning.
幸亏她的举动被有爱心的邻居们发现了。
They raised the alarm before any harm came to those poor children - both at primary school - who were left night-after-night in harms way as their mother risked their entire household budget gambling in Chinatown.
他们在孩子可能出事之前报了警,这两个还在上小学的孩子,整夜整夜地被遗弃在险境,就因为他们的母亲拿着全部的家用钱去中国城赌博。
Mrs A owned four restaurants in the UK: two in London, two in Birmingham.
A太太在英国拥有四间餐馆,两间在伦敦,另两间在伯明翰。
One night as the stakes got higher, as her losses increased, as the need to win got ever more frightening.
有一天晚上,她赌博越输越多,赌注越下越大,赢回来的欲望达到令人恐惧的程度。
– she risked her restaurant and lost.
她输掉了自己押上的一间餐馆。
In ever deeper she eventually lost all her restaurants to gambling and now lives in poverty on her own in a council flat.
她越陷越深,直至把所有餐馆都赌尽输光。现如今,她自己住在一间廉租屋中穷困度日。
Sadly these are not the only incidents.
可悲的是此类案例绝非以上这两件。
Like an iceberg the vast majority is below the horizon line.
犹如冰山一角,大多数被赌博破坏的家庭和人生仍不为人知。
There are many, many more children out there suffering from the effects of their parents gambling.
还有许许多多的孩子们由于父母赌博使他们的生活受到影响。
There are many more people out there risking their future and that of their families as – like junkies - the elation of the fix. The thrill - gets them hooked, then they find they can't get off the journey.
还有更多人因为赌博正在葬送他们的人生和家庭,就像吸毒的人一样,饮鸩止渴。这种刺激让他们上瘾,随后他们就发现自己走上了一条无法摆脱的路。
A journey that eventually through a treacherous road leads to poverty, illness, disassociation of family and friends and a lonely poor existence.
这是一条危险之路,最后将人带入贫困、病痛和众叛亲离之境。
Friends – we owe it to these people, their children and their families – to do something.
朋友们,我们要为这些人及他们的孩子和家人做点事情。
We should not and we cannot stand by and see more people on this disturbing road to ruin.
我们不应当也不能袖手旁观,眼看着更多的人步上这条毁灭之路。
So what can we do?
那么我们能做什么?
First, we have to oppose any further deregulation of the gambling industry.
首先,我们要抵制任何放松对赌博业管制的政策。
We must force our Local authorities to carry out impact assessment on any applications for new betting shops.
我们必须推动我们的地方政府对开设新投注店的申请进行评估。
Chinese churches and community associations should work together to help victims of gambling addiction, domestic violence and mental help.
华人教会和社区组织应当携起手来向沉迷赌博的人和因此遭受家庭暴力的受害者提供援助和精神上的帮扶。
Chinese for Labour will do all it can to assist such groups.
华人工党将竭尽所能为这些组织提供支持。
Together we can change things.
携起手来我们就能改变现状。
Let me turn your attention to representation.
接下来我请大家关注华人代表的议题。
The 2011 Census says there over 700,000 Chinese and East Asians of which over 393,000 are Chinese in England & Wales.
2011年人口普查显示英国华人和东亚族裔有70多万人,其中英格兰和威尔士的华人超过39万3千人。
This makes us the third largest ethnic group in the United Kingdom.
这让我们成为英国第三大少数族裔。
So why are the Chinese invisible – in arts, theatre, national institutions, charities, think tanks and politics?
那为什么我们在艺术、剧院、国家机构、慈善机构、智囊机构和政治领域却见不到华人的身影呢?
So why don't we see the Chinese or East Asian actors in the National Theatre?
那为什么我们在国家剧院里看不到华人和东亚裔演员呢?
So why did the RSC use white actors made up to play Chinese in their recent play, The Orphan of Zhao – utterly shameful.
那为什么皇家莎士比亚剧团在他们的新剧赵氏孤儿中要让白人演员扮演中国人?真是太可惜了。
So why is it that they get tax payers funding?
既如此,他们(皇家莎士比亚剧团)何以享受纳税人的资助呢?
They should reflect the makeup of society or I say be stripped of tax payers funding.
他们的演员阵容应当反映社会的组成,否则我认为他们从纳税人处得到的资金应予剥夺。
The Chinese are invisible again when it comes to appointments to Public Bodies.
在公共机构职务的任命上,也是见不到华人的。
Why has the Government not taken action to ensure more than the 119 Public Appointments out of 1,740 went to ethnic minorities?
政府为何不采取措施确保在1740家公共机构中让少数族裔担任至少119家机构的领导呢?
Is it right that only six in every one hundred appointments – many of them made by Ministers - is from a Black and Minority Ethnic background?
很多只需部长任命的领导职务中,每一百个职位仅有六个是由黑人或少数族裔担任,这正常吗?
I think not.
我看不正常。
So invisible are the Chinese in the governance of Brittan that no official statistic of the number of Chinese members of Public Bodies is published.
华人在英国社会的治理机构中如此微不足道,以至于竟然没有华人担任公共机构职务的官方数据。
Friends, we have had to use FOI requests to the individual bodies to get this information.
朋友们,我们不得不依靠信息自由法去申请每一个机构提供这类数据。
We are still waiting ...
我们仍在等待着...
I will not be surprised if there are none.
如果这些职务没有一个由华人担任,我并不惊讶。
Another shocking statistic I want to share with you is the number of Chinese awarded national honours.
我想告诉你们另一个让人诧异的有关华人被授予国家荣誉的数据。
So invisible are the Chinese that only 1 Chinese out of 1,223 people received an award in this year's honours list.
华人如此不重要,乃至在今年1223人的获奖名单中只有一个华人。
Surely even using George Osborne's legendary creative mathematics this doesn't look a representative number?
即便用乔治•奥斯本非凡的算法,这也不是一个能体现代表性的数字。
So where are the Chinese Dames, Sirs – there are many who are worthy of these honours but society has failed to formally recognise.
那么华人的女男爵和男爵们都在哪里呢?很多华人都配得上这些荣誉,只是社会没能真正地予以认可。
People like David Yip who has for years contributed to the theatre and charities – he should be honoured.
像叶大伟(David Yip)这样为戏剧和慈善业做出多年贡献的人士就应当受到褒奖。
Likewise Raymond Siu who has quietly in his own way done more to help young Chinese children fulfil their dreams – he should be honoured
同样的,雷蒙德•萧(Raymond Siu)默默无闻地以自己的方式帮助华人儿童实现他们的梦想,他也应当被嘉奖。
There are hundreds of Chinese women up and down the country running community centres without any recourse to public funds going unrecognised – they should be honoured.
全国各地还有很多华人女性开办了社区中心,未用一分公共资金,尚未获得认可,他们也应当获奖。
The Chinese business men and women creating jobs, growth and wealth for this Country – they should be honoured.
那些经商的华人们为这个国家创造工作,促进经济和财富的增长,他们同样应当被嘉奖。
So what can we do?
我们能做什么?
I tell you what – time for us to start shouting from the roof tops and start nominating.
我告诉大家,现在就是为这些华人高声呼吁和提名推荐的时候了。
No more modesty, humility – time to say how good we are and how we contribute so much to this nation of ours.
我们不必再自谦,现在是宣扬我们的优点和我们为自己的国家贡献良多的时候了。
We must start nominating our neighbours, friends and leaders.
我们一定要提名我们自己的邻居、朋友和领袖。
Chinese for Labour can help you prepare and make your nominations.
华人工党能够帮助您准备和提交这样的提名。
Together we can change things.
携起手来,我们就能改变现状。
The Chinese are invisible in politics
华人在政坛默默无闻。
Last year saw our very first Chinese Labour Councillor elected in Cardiff Council – Cecilia Love. – Congratulations Cecilia.
去年,Cecilia Love当选卡迪夫地方议会议员,成为华人工党第一个地方议会议员,让我们向Cecilia表示祝贺。
However, we need many more Cecilias'.
但这不够,我们需要更多像Cecilias一样的华人精英。
We need Cecilias' in Councils up and down the land
在全国各地的议会中,我们都需要Cecilias这样的华人。
We need Cecilias' running our police services,
我们也需要Cecilias这样的华人来领导警察队伍。
We need Cecilias' in the Devolved Administrations and in the Westminster Parliament.
我们还需要Cecilias这样的华人在基层政府和国会中任职。
So I am pleased we have with us this evening two of our selected candidates for 2015 General Election – Sarah Owen and Rebecca Blake.
所以我很高兴今晚与会嘉宾中有两位工党选出的2015年大选国会议员竞选人,他们是莎拉•欧文(Sarah Owen)和丽贝卡•布莱克(Rebecca Blake)。
But do you know that we are the only major English speaking country that does not have any Chinese Parliamentarians.
但是你们知道吗,在主要的英语国家中,英国是唯一一个没有华裔国会议员的国家。
Why is it that Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA all have theirs, yet in Brittan the Chinese are invisible at Westminster and Whitehall?
为什么澳大利亚、新西兰、加拿大和美国都有他们的华人政客,而英国的国会和中央政府中竟不见一个华人。
We need more Cecilias' and Sarahs' and Rebeccas' in Government and in the Cabinet too.
我们的国会和内阁中需要更多的Cecilia、莎拉和丽贝卡。
So what can we do?
我们能做什么?
Tonight we are launching our Potential Candidates' programme.
今晚,我将发起我们的"未来候选人"计划。
We want you, all of you to go away tonight and look and identify from your communities, your workplace and your family, potential Chinese candidates for public office.
我们希望你们今晚回去后,在你们的社区居民、单位同事和家庭成员中寻找那些能够胜任公职的华裔人选。
Chinese for Labour will take them under our wings and mentor them, provide necessary training and funding for them to achieve their goals.
华人工党将会把他们招至旗下细加培养,为他们实现自己的目标提供必要的培训和资助。
Last year some of you may remember we launched the Dragon's Fund.
你们可能还有人记得我们去年发起设立了龙基金。
This Fund has already helped some of our candidates but we need to help many more – so I am making a plea – no make that beg - this evening.
这项基金已经资助了一些候选人,但还有更多的人需要我们帮助,所以今晚我要向诸位请求(而非乞求)给予我们资助。
Please give generously and help us get more Chinese elected to public office – without your help we will not get the representation you so deserve.
请您慷慨解囊来帮助我们选出更多的华人担任政府公职,没有你们的支持,我们无法实现华人应有的代表性。
I want you to say 'For that reason Sonny – I'm in'
我希望你们对我说:"辛尼,为了这个目标,算我一个"。
Together we can change things.
携起手来,我们就能改变现状。
Finally, I want to talk about engagement.
最后,我想谈一谈参与。
It is time for us - the leaders in our community to start advocating, communicating and demanding for our voices to be heard for the Chinese to be visible.
现在是我们这些华人社会的精英们开始提倡、宣传和要求华人崭露头角的时候了。
No one else will do that for us. We must bear that responsibility for our communities.
别人是不会替我们做这些事的。我们必须扛起对自己族群和社区的责任。
Before we do that, we must come together – we must unite as a community for our common good.
首先我们一定要联合起来,为我们共同的利益我们必须团结为一个整体。
We must leave aside selfishness, mistrust and suspicions.
我们必须放下自私、怀疑和猜忌。
If we are to have a stake in the future of this country and be part of the social and political fabric we have to start participating in it.
如果我们想在这个国家的未来占有一席之地并成为社会和政治生活的一部分,我们就一定要参与进来。
The next General Election is an important one for all of us.
下次国会选举对我们所有人都很重要。
It is going to be difficult, challenging but doable.
要赢得大选必将遇到困难和挑战,但这是可以实现的。
We have to earn and gain the respect and right to govern from each and every voter.
我们一定要从每一个选民那里争取并赢得尊重和执政的资格。
90% of Chinese are of voting age, yet more than a third of Chinese are unregistered to vote.
百分之九十的华人有投票资格,但三分之一以上的华裔没有注册为选民。
Turnout is poor with only half of the Chinese who are registered going to the polling booth or sending in their postal vote.
华人选民积极性很低,只有半数注册的华裔选民前往投票站或寄送选票,
At the next General Election the new individual registration laws will mean that we have to ensure that every individual Chinese is registered to vote.
下届大选将实行新的个人登记法规,这意味着我们必须确保每一个华人都去注册投票。
We know the Tories will be organised in registering their voters and Chinese for Labour will be working with other organisations to get those individual registrations in.
我们知道保守党将组织他们的选民注册,而我们华人工党将和其他组织一起,确保那些个人选民进行登记。
But we need help.
但我们需要帮助。
We need help from our entrepreneurs here this evening.
我们需要今晚在座的企业家们帮助我们。
Open up your supermarkets, restaurants and business to facilitate such registrations.
利用你们的超市、饭店和商店来协助完成选民登记。
Encourage your staff and customers of their right to register and vote.
鼓励你们的员工和顾客去行使他们登记和投票的权利。
Together we can change things.
携起手来,我们就能改变现状。
The Labour Party has to play its part too.
工党也将发挥自己的作用。
The Party has to start engaging with the Chinese community.
工党一定要和华人社会建立联系。
Out of the 106 Labour Target seats, the Chinese community can make a difference in 38 of those seats where we have over 20% of the vote deficit on those seats.
在工党要争取的106个议席中,华人社群能在与对手有20%票数差距的38个议席的争夺中发挥作用。
Chinese for Labour stand ready to work with regional offices and CLPs in those seats.
华人工党随时准备同这些议席所在选区的地方党办和选民组织携手合作。
This government is fixated in shrinking the state and privatising everything in sight.
这届政府不遗余力地削弱国家,并将眼下的一切都私有化。
We need to ensure that this out of touch, incompetent, uncaring, arrogant, contemptuous, deceitful and despiteful Tory – led – ConDem government is condemned to a one term government.
这个保守党领头自民党帮衬的政府脱离民众、无所作为、不负责任、傲慢、轻率、虚伪而且刁难人民,我们一定要让这届政府成为一届短命政府。
We have to win in 2015 for the sake of millions of ordinary hard working, middle squeezing and decent families.
为了千百万努力工作、艰辛度日的中产家庭的利益,我们一定要赢得2015年的大选。
Otherwise millions will be tossed to the scrapheap for another generation of despair and hopelessness.
否则又一代人将在绝望和无助中被遗弃。
We have a fight on our hands in the next few months in this country.
几个月后我们就要在这个国家打响一个战斗。
Let's enjoy tonight, and then take that fight to the streets and doorsteps.
让我们尽兴享受今晚,然后去街道上、去民众的家门口争取斗争的胜利。
Together we can change things.
携起手来,我们就能改变现状。
Thank you.
谢谢大家!